Stand or die. We're not being hyperbolic.
TL;DR: Humans weren't built to sit for 8+ hours a day. The more time you spend sitting, the more likely you are to gain weight, get sick, and die young.
Why use Standing Clock? We built this app because we needed help staying on track (stats are our #1 motivator), and also a way to brag to our friends. We made it a public site with the hope that we could help you get healthier with us!
What you can do: start standing.
- If you have the dough, a great option is the GeekDesk, which is a motorized desk that lets you sit down when you need to.
- If you want to be crazy, you can get a Treadmill Desk, which is weird but apparently recommended by the guy who started all of this.
- Or, if you're like most of us, you can hack together your own custom standing desk with parts from Ikea.
Things you can read:
- Interindividual Variation in Posture Allocation: Possible Role in Human Obesity -Science Magazine, 2005
- How and why I switched to a standing desk -Smarterware.org, Jan 2011
- Is sitting a lethal activity? -NYTimes, April 2011